Careers In Web Development
If you are one of those who are fascinated by the world wide web and want to pursue a career in web development, read on. In this article, we will explore this field from a career perspective and see what it has in store for you.
So, what exactly does the world of web development comprise of? It is actually a consolidated term for individual functions like planning the hardware required to host a website,working out the web design, executing the software programming and creating and managing the content development. This is the team that not just builds web sites but also manages them. As it is a diverse set of functions involved, the opportunities to break into web development is also large. From hardware and software engineers to networking experts to web designers to content professionals, this is an industry that has a huge demand for both experienced and new hands.
On the technical side, there is the hardware planning and maintenance that requires the engineering kind of employee. Similarly, to infuse life into the website, hundreds of lines of intelligent code needs to be written and software engineers become relevant here. Running the website requires professionals from the world of web hosting. Coming on to the non technical side of web development, there are the designers and the content professionals. While the former conceives the site and gives it shape to make the website attractive and productive, the latter fills the space with relevant, updated and crisp matter to help the user benefit from the site visit. Other profiles include an analytical team that supports in analyzing website traffic and a marketing and revenue group that make efforts to monetize from the visits to the site.
Web development – Inherent qualities
There are a few inherent qualities shared by many successful web developers. They are:
- Good communication skills
- Enjoy computing and technical design
- Practical and creative
- Able to work in a team
- Able to work long hours and high pressure situations
- Keen concentration and problem-solving skills
- Logical reasoning and troubleshooting skills
You can make a career in web development by completing a degree in information technology or communication design with a major in web development, web design or multimedia. A number of universities in Australia offer degrees in these areas.
The factors in favour of web development as a career option are many.
- It is the epitome of technology and we all know the leaps and advancements in this sector on a regular basis. Companies, old and new, have their own presence on the internet and this means constantly changing and refreshing it.
- As much as it is growing exponentially, the internet is also growing qualitatively. Newer entry and usage points like the mobile and even the tablet are making themselves ever so much relevant. With each medium, the individual functions all need to step in – the planning, designing, writing codes and content…there is always some action or the other in this field.
- Remuneration and growth are always attractive in a fast growing industry. The work too is quite exciting and dynamic.
Of course, there are also the challenges that are present in such fluid and rapidly moving work environment. It can be a high expectation work area with a lot to be accomplished in a short time. Pressure cooker situations will keep cropping up and a cool head and presence of mind need to be demonstrated. Long working hours are the norm here and those interested in web development as a career option should be ready to work any time of the day and any day of the week.
The internet is only becoming bigger, better and more all pervading. Those who are interested in stepping in to make a career here can look forward to an exciting and fruitful time ahead.